Saturday, August 4, 2007

Wedding (part 3)

We enlisted Tatsu and Tim to be my brothers; they gave me puffed rice with ghee, and Tejas and I offered it to the fire goddess and walked around the sacred fire, seven times.
Then the priest called up a bunch of married women from the guests. We asked for their blessings, and then one by one they whispered in my ear "We are also married." Some of them said it in Sanskrit, some of them said it in English, and the one right behind me in this picture whispered, "You are very lucky!"
First Tejas, and then his parents, promised my parents that they would love and protect me.
And then we were all done! (Isn't Trace-trace cute in her sari?)
We ate dinner and went home, and I kicked over a cupful of rice at the threshold for luck.
And that was that!

2 comments:

Amy Wilson said...

Wow! I was wondering when you'd post about the wedding. Thanks for outlining all the details of the ceremony; from what you've said, I like it quite a bit more than a Western Christian ceremony. I particularly like the women telling you that they are married too. Aww. Solidarity. And all the stuff about welcoming each other into your families is really great.

Everything looks gorgeous, especially you.

Prachi said...

Congratulations! that looks very much like a Maharashtrian wedding, from my part of India - your saree is very pretty!

(Came here via Ravelry).