Wednesday, August 22, 2007

Mrs. R. & finishitis!

The second half of the wedding is over (pictures to come later) and we're about as married as can be! I spent this morning running around everywhere changing my name (instead of working like I ought to have been)--getting all the forms and changes and things done is becoming a compulsion, like finishitis in knitting. I just want everything done! There's just a few more steps...have to apply for a new passport (stupid rules...it'd better not take forever to get it!); change my name on the bank records, etc.; and fill out/copy stuff for/send in Tejas' green card application with all its umpteen thousand proof-of-this-and-thats (I kid you not: we're even sending wedding pictures). And even if I am officially (oh so officially) Mrs. R. now, if you call me that, I'll think you're talking to Tejas' mom.

And Tejas got a job offer from a Big Prestigious Company! We've talked about it a lot and he's 95% sure he's going to take it...but he doesn't have to tell them till Monday, so it's still up in the air. And of course, he won't be starting till January, so something could still go wrong (cross your fingers). But he got an offer! A very nice one! The very first thing he said to me after he got the call was, "I think you're going to have a really big yarn fund." :)

I'm still plugging away on the Melon Shawl for Tejas' gramma. It's really not going to be done before his mom leaves, but it's not completely my fault--she moved the date of her ticket forward by about a month, so she's leaving a week from Saturday. We'll miss her...though I have to say, it will be really really nice having some time alone with Tejas. I've spent about one hour, count it ONE, completely alone with him since we got married. (She was going to go stay with Tejas' brother's family for a while after the wedding...but Tejas thinks she's more comfortable here, since we're a little more relaxed about things. They're nice, but extremely fussy. So she's here with us. On the upside, she's lots of fun, and she's a really good cook!)

CALLING ALL KNITTERS!
Afghans for Afghans has a major goal to meet by October 10th--filling 40 shipping cartons with warm clothes for schoolkids (I think they said ages 2-14, but I could be wrong). The clothes and blankets will get to Afghanistan just in time for winter. That's a LOT of wool clothes, folks. Which is why, if you knit (and I know you do, all couple of you who read this!) you should check out the Afghans for Afghans website and knit something for them. They have links to tons of free patterns, you can use leftovers from your stash, the wool doesn't even have to be superwash!, and a little vest or sweater is pretty quick. And you don't have to worry too much about the size if your gauge is a little bit off--it's not like it's not going to fit anyone! And you can have the doubly-virtuous feeling of having used up some stash to help out a bunch of kids who've seen a lot of things they shouldn't have.

I'm 3/4 of the way done with a size XL sweater vest from the In-VEST for Peace pattern (on the A for A website, free)--it went really quick and was fun and fairly mindless. Good movie/book knitting. The main color is lavender blue, with stripes of daffodil yellow and lettuce green. This color combo reminds me of a lorna's laces colorway called Yellowstone, so I'm dubbing this project the Yellowstone vest. I will put a picture here...but not yet. (I feel really stupid photographing my crafty stuff in front of Tejas' mom. Also in front of Tejas, but he thinks I'm crazy in a cute sort of way. I suspect she'd think it was more crazy and less cute.)

And last but not least...I have finishitis for sure!! I have two pairs of socks on the home stretch (second sock); Yellowstone vest 75% done; ladybug baby sweater 75% done; shawl just needs a bit more edging....I need to finish something!! Expect finished photos soon, or I'll be tearing out my hair with frustration.

No comments: