Saturday, August 4, 2007

Wedding (part 2)

The youngest member of the family was more interested in the decorations than in the ceremony.
Meanwhile our sis-in-law (his mom) was helping me change into a green sari--green is the color of marriage in Tejas' family. My wedding sari is a gift from Tejas' grandma, so I love it to pieces. It's a kind of traditional Marathi sari called a Paithani, and it's gorgeous, but I felt kind of stupid and ungainly wearing it, especially with the jewelry store's worth of beads and bangles I had on. But a tiny little old Indian lady--I don't think she was even associated with the wedding, she was just there to pray--came up to me as I left the back room and said, "Oh, you look just like a queen! I love you!" and gave me a big hug. That made me feel a little better. :)

Then we got down to the real important stuff. Tejas and I each got a garland, and they held a veil between us. The priest chanted and rang a bell (Tejas tells me the last word of the chant means, "Beware!").
Then they lowered the veil and we put the garlands round each others' necks, and were married.
We blessed a black-and-gold beaded necklace (kind of like a wedding ring for Hindu girls) and Tejas and his mom put it on me.
We took seven steps to make seven vows.

No comments: