Friday, June 15, 2007

We reach new heights of dorkiness.

Scene: campus post office
Me: Um, hi, I need to buy stamps for these letters. This one has to go to India, the rest are all normal.
Post office lady: Okay. [reaches for flag stamps]
Me: Actually, these are wedding invites. Do you have "love" stamps or something? Heart stamps?
Post office lady: No, we're all out! But you can go online and order them.
Me: Well, how about the forever stamps? They say "forever," right? Do you have them?
Post office lady: Oooh, yes we do! Look, they even match!! And the 90 cent stamp for India matches too! It was meant to be.

Tejas was highly chuffed with the forever stamp idea. Just enter us into the dictionary under "dork."

Cast-on-itis

I have this deadly malaise. First, there was the baby sweater. I longed for something made with worsted-weight yarn--anything bigger than the teensy little fingering-weight of sock yarn or the sport-weight of my blue sweater (which is a WOOP for now...more on that later). I was socked out. So I cast on for the baby sweater and chugged through the front and back. Hooray!
But that baby sweater is kind of involved, what with the cables and bobbles and all, and even if it's worsted weight, it goes kinda slowly and you have to pay attention. And the color is...not so colorful. So I cast on for the nice simple colorful hat. (And finished it! No lambasting me on this!) But the problem with quickie knits is that they're addictive--I want to knit another hat! Maybe three!

And in the meantime, Tejas asked me to make a lace wrap for his gramma (since she can't come to the wedding due to lack of passport, due to lack of birth certificate. Stupid colonial government)--I'm going to make the Melon Stitch Shawl from Victorian Lace Today. So of course I had to cast on for that, just to make sure the yarn looked okay in that gauge. (This is going to be my Big Involved Main Project right after I finish the baby sweater, because I have to finish it in time for Tejas' mom to take it back to India when she leaves. September 20th, folks. You've got to keep me motivated, or I'm not going to make it. Lace takes me a long time.)

And then my favoritest online yarn store, The Loopy Ewe, is running a charity drive for baby hats for an orphanage, and fingerless gloves for a girls' school in Russia, and the deadline is June 30th, so I figured I'd better make something. I'm sick of baby hats (there were those other charity things looking for baby hats...and then I knitted a bunch for the FIVE girls I know who had/will have babies this year) so I decided to make fingerless gloves. So they're on the needles too.

HELP HELP TOO MANY PROJECTS BURIED ALIVE! My knitting time this weekend will be devoted to reducing the number of projects on the needles--always good motivation. First up for annihilation: fingerless gloves!

[Pictures to come soon, of these projects and of the WOOPs I need to be shamed into finishing. I stole Tejas' digital camera but I need to remember to use it. It's the heat.]

No comments: