Friday, June 29, 2007

Never trust your knitting.

I know you have to have a certain amount of dedication to be a knitter and all, but really, patience has never been my strong point. I always cast on a zillion things at once and knit on each one till I get bored--it's sloppy, but it means I always have projects in various stages of completion. If I start feeling the itch to finish something, I can usually manage it in a couple of days.

On the other hand, it also means I have projects that I get bored or annoyed with, which linger for months--years!--in the dreaded depths of the craft cupboard. Such as these socks:

(They've got more green and less blue than it looks like here.) I bought the yarn last summer (from sunset yarns on etsy) and cast on last fall. I knit the first one, got bored, stuck it in the cupboard with the kobolds and the gremlins, and forgot all about it till I was showing off my sock walk of shame (=orphan single socks) to Mom. She liked the socks I was making for her okay, but she REALLY liked these. (Who'da thunk it? They are tres bright, my friends.) So, all right, change of plans: I got the socks that she was going to get (her loss, I was almost done with those!) and I started knitting the second of these. They didn't get much knitting time till this week though. I go through sock modes and non-sock modes. I'm feeling the sock bug again now. Besides, I wanted an FO, and I was too tired to work on the fidgety baby bobble thing, even though it only needs another couple inches of hood, a neck edging, and some sewing-up.

The only problem is, I am the acknowledged queen of stupid knitting mistakes. The first sock had been sitting for months in the cupboard, but did I look at it before casting on the second? No way! I knit these with my own personal Plain Sock pattern, which I have memorized up down and sideways! Look schmook!

The first sock has a 1x1 ribbed cuff. The second has a 2x2 ribbed cuff.

F*%! you, knitting kobolds! I'm taking the leftover yarn with me to Michigan this weekend in case my mom notices. If it bothers her, I'll unravel the cuff, attach new yarn, and knit a new cuff toe-up style. If it doesn't bother her, or she doesn't notice, IT IS A QUIRKY EMBELLISHMENT. Got that?

(Come on. You can barely even see the difference in the picture.)

QUIRKY.

1 comment:

Toni said...

Hi there! We hadn't seen you in the Stashdown group and were getting a bit concerned, so just wanted to check in to see if all is well and to say that we miss you!

ToniS