Saturday, June 23, 2007

Moral dilemma.

Just a quick question...is it wrong to toss yarn that's hopelessly tangled? Toss as in, trash can? I have 2 or 3 skeins that would take me HOURS if not TENS OF HOURS to untangle, and frankly, the thought makes me kinda woozy. And it's not like they're quiviut handspun my great-great-gramma from a muskox she raised herself, or anything. I have serious qualms about tossing yarn...but the chances of me ever using these couple skeins are extremely slim. Immoral? Or not?

(One skein is tangled from when I let Tejas frog it and didn't simultaneously wind it up, stupid me. But I don't think I'll need it to finish the project (if I do, I'll untangle just enough to finish). The others evidently just hate me and decided to spontaneously tangle beyond repair when moving or marinating in the bottom of the stash, or something. Well, I hate them too. Stupid tangled yarn.)

3 comments:

Amy Wilson said...

In my opinion, no, it's not wrong. Sometimes the relationship between yarn and knitter can be a tragic one.

Ask me how I know this. It's because I spent four hours trying to untangle some yarn that came with a knot in the skein and then accidentally broke it, leaving it unusable. My rage knew no bounds! I wish to God I had just let that stupid yarn go.

Emily Hendricks said...

No, it's not wrong, not at all. Hopeless tangled yarn just cuts back on the time when you could be knitting. Just toss it and move on to the next skein!!

Ruth said...

Your Great Grandma, so very frugal, had some reddish orange wool that was hopelessly tangled and told me (at about age 9) that if I couldn't untangle it, we would make a wig out of it for the costume contest at Halloween. We ended up sewing it, tangled as it was, to a box style hat she had made, and it became "the wig-hat". Mom and grandma and I had laughs through many years of our own (not so professional) haircuts, saying "Oh well, you can always wear the wig-hat!"

So yes, don't hold onto it with hopes of it being useful in a knitted sort of way. Stuffing for a knitted toy, dustrag, wig-hat, or just a magnet for any guilt as it hits the trash!