Monday, July 23, 2007

Good little girls do not knit while cooking.

Our kitchen, while light and airy and equipped with a cute little breakfast nook, does not have a lot of counter space. In particular, the oven sits all by its lonesome against the opposite wall from what little counter we have. We've been intending all along to buy a kitchen cabinet thingy with a countertop top, to put in the corner next to the oven, but, well...we're lazy. And there is The Budget. But this weekend Tejas' mom put her foot down: she likes to cook, and she was sick of carrying things back and forth across the kitchen because there was nowhere by the oven to set them down. We made a foray to Ikea (never been there before...the place is huge! And it's evil how they make you walk through the whole store to get to the checkout line. It's an enormous one-way street!) and bought a very nice counterish thing, about two and a half feet square, with shelves underneath. Tejas' mom is happy, and we are happy, and the new counter has already seen lots of use.

Speaking of visitors being here, Tejas' dad is coming from India this afternoon, and my family is arriving Friday, so our little hobbit hole will be bursting at the seams. I'm very glad his mom likes to cook, because what with working in the lab and all the very firm, conflicting dietary preferences of his various relations, I would go crazy trying to feed them all. (As it is, I just feed Tejas, me, and his mom. She feeds everybody else.) Approximately zero knitting has gotten done in the past week, and even less is forecasting for the coming week...I spend all my time cleaning and cooking, or else talking to visitors. My family is evidently the only one that thinks knitting and talking or knitting and cooking is normal, acceptable behavior. (Hmph.)

Also, while I did finish a birthday present for Tracy (pictures after it's given) and am chugging along, albeit slowly, on the melon shawl and the forest socks, I have started to crave thicker yarn. Fingering and lace weight are my favorites, it's true...but sometimes you just want to see some more progress for your time, y'know? So I'm making a stashgan afghan, a mindless garter stitch bias square one, for Afghans for Afghans. This one has multiple goals: an easy source of mindless knitting; easy to carry along since it's only one square at a time; I can practice continental knitting, which I hate because it makes my hand ache but which I really ought to learn, because the pattern's easy and gauge isn't so big a deal; and it will hopefully use up a bunch of the annoying semi-skein not-very-useful leftovers hanging around in my stash. And it's for charity, so I move past go and collect my brownie points. Hurray!

No comments: